E. Jean Carroll says she will sue Donald Trump for sexual assault

Writer and columnist E. Jean Carroll, who has maintained that Donald Trump sexually assaulted her once during the 1990s, plans to prosecute the former president under a New York law that allows sexual assault victims to file suit. is, he said in court records filed on Tuesday. ,

In late May, New York Governor Kathy Hochul (D) signed the Adult Survivors Act, which would give adult sexual assault survivors up to one year to file a lawsuit, regardless of when the alleged violation occurred.

In court documents filed Tuesday in the ongoing defamation case against Trump, Carroll’s attorney, Roberta A. Kaplan told a New York federal judge that his client intends to sue Trump “as soon as that law authorizes us to do so.” Carroll can sue under the Adult Survivors Act until November 24.

Carroll – who recalled the alleged assault in an excerpt from his book in 2019 – had not previously been able to press charges as the statute of limitations was passed. Trump has repeatedly denied the allegations.

Kaplan declined to comment when reached by The Washington Post on Wednesday. Trump’s lawyer Alina Habba did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Carroll’s announcement comes a day before New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) filed a lawsuit Wednesday accusing Trump, his three grown children and his company’s executives for defrauding lenders, insurance brokers and tax officials. He was accused of manipulating the valuation of the property. To give them better rates on bank loans and insurance policies and to reduce their tax liability. James is seeking compensation and banning Trump from buying commercial property in the state for five years.

Read |  Arizona governor hopeful Karin Taylor Robson blasts 'fraudulent' Kari Lake before primary: 'an opportunist'

New York writer who accused Trump of sexual harassment sues him for defamation

Carroll, who Trump has called a liar, is in the midst of an ongoing defamation lawsuit against the former president after a published excerpt from his book, where he first mentioned the alleged assault.

In excerpt, as she claimed in her defamation suit, Carroll said she ran into Real estate developer at upscale department store Bergdorf Goodman in New York City in late 1995 or early 1996. They chatted and shopped together before attacking Trump in a dressing room, she said. Carroll said he knocked his head against a wall, pulled his tights down and got into it for a while, before pushing him sharply and running out of the store.

Carroll is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages. Trump attempted to counterattack, but a judge rejected the bid.

NY Judge Dismisses Trump’s Attempt to Defend E. Jean Carroll

In court documents filed Tuesday, Carroll’s attorney Kaplan alleged that Trump had not yet cooperated with the search process. Kaplan wrote, he is unwilling to present any evidence mandated by the court. He added that Carroll is, however, prepared to present the more than 30,000 pages of evidence requested in Trump’s defense.

“To date, the finding in the above defamation case has been entirely one-way,” Kaplan wrote in August.

Kaplan is seeking to strengthen Carroll’s defamation suit with a new lawsuit, which she hopes to file under the Adult Survivors Act. Habba has asked the judge to decline, saying it would be “extraordinarily hostile” to Trump.

Read |  London politics live: Liz Truss appoints ministers after new PM clashes with Keir Starmer in Commons

Beth Reinhardt and Shayna Jacobs contributed to this report.

Source link