Timeline of Missing Secret Service Text Messages
Here’s a timeline of how Secret Service text messages became one of the key questions for the House committee as it prepares for the next phase of its investigation into the January 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol.
It is still unclear whether the Secret Service received guidance. A source familiar with the investigation told CNN that the Secret Service tried to find it last week, but could not.
January 27, 2021: According to the agency’s July 19 letter to the House Select Committee, Microsoft Intune phone migration begins.
February 26, 2021: According to agency spokesman Anthony Guglielmi, DHS Inspector General Joseph Cuffrey has requested electronic communications from the Secret Service for the first time. “DHS OIG first requested electronic communication on February 26, 2021, when migration was well underway. The Secret Service informed DHS OIG about the loss of data for some phones, but confirmed to OIG that None of this is text. Was lost in migration,” Guglielmi said in a statement on July 14, 2022.
April 1, 2021: According to the agency’s letter, the Intune migration is complete.
May 2021: According to sources, the Secret Service informs the DHS Inspector General about the missing text messages related to the phone data migration problem. the agency tells A source told CNN that Kafri’s office of the Secret Service tried to contact a cellular provider to retrieve the text after they learned they were lost.
Key Secret Service personnel wrongly assumed the data was backed up and did not realize it was permanently lost until the data migration was completed, the source said.
June 11, 2021: The DHS Inspector General “requests text messages sent or received by 24 Secret Service personnel during the period from December 7, 2020 to January 8, 2021.” CNN has previously reported that Trump and Pence’s head of security detail are among 24 individuals.
July 2021: According to two sources, a DHS deputy inspector general tells DHS that the inspector general’s office is no longer soliciting text messages from the Secret Service.
December 2021: DHS Inspector General resumes his investigation in Secret Service text messages. According to a letter sent last week by House Oversight Chair Caroline Maloney and Homeland Security Chair Benny Thompson to Cuffrey to recuse themselves from the investigation, the inspector general’s office was told by the Secret Service that the text messages had been erased. A DHS source told CNN Kafri’s office was again informed of the data loss.
In early February, as the Washington Post reported, staff at Kafri’s office planned to contact all DHS agencies, offering data experts to help them retrieve messages from their phones. But later that month, the Post reported that Kafri’s office decided it would not collect or review any agency’s phones.
In late February, according to the Washington Post, Kafri learned that text messages for the top two DHS officials under the Trump administration were missing, and that they were lost in the reset of their government phones when they left their jobs in January 2021. Were.
Also on 19 July, the National Archives sent a letter to DHS demanding a report documenting any inappropriate deletion of text messages.
July 28, 2022: Senate Judiciary Chairman Dick Durbin, Illinois Democrat, called on Attorney General Merrick Garland asked to investigate the missing messages from the January 6 lead-up. The Justice Department did not respond to a request for comment.